This is a Windows Vista SP1 (Upgrading now to SP2) that displayed a crash screen that reads “Superfetch has stopped working”.
The computer keeps going, but surely without superfetch.
NOTE: Here is the bottom line, error event log says problem is with C:WindowsPrefetchAgAppLaunch.db so i replaced it with the one from the Windows.old directory, the file itself was unreadable even with notepad probably due to filesystem corruption.
Going online for a solution does not seem to come back with anything, so i went to the windows Event Viewer
In the event viewer, i found an error message such as
Windows cannot access the file C:WindowsPrefetchAgAppLaunch.db for one of the following reasons: there is a problem with the network connection, the disk that the file is stored on, or the storage drivers installed on this computer; or the disk is missing. Windows closed the program Host Process for Windows Services because of this error.
Program: Host Process for Windows Services
The error value is listed in the Additional Data section.
1. Open the file again. This situation might be a temporary problem that corrects itself when the program runs again.
2. If the file still cannot be accessed and
- It is on the network, your network administrator should verify that there is not a problem with the network and that the server can be contacted.
- It is on a removable disk, for example, a floppy disk or CD-ROM, verify that the disk is fully inserted into the computer.
3. Check and repair the file system by running CHKDSK. To run CHKDSK, click Start, click Run, type CMD, and then click OK. At the command prompt, type CHKDSK /F, and then press ENTER.
4. If the problem persists, restore the file from a backup copy.
5. Determine whether other files on the same disk can be opened. If not, the disk might be damaged. If it is a hard disk, contact your administrator or computer hardware vendor for further assistance.
Error value: C000009C
Disk type: 3
Right after every one of those above, i will get an error that reads
Faulting application svchost.exe_SysMain, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x47918b89, faulting module sysmain.dll, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp
0x4791a770, exception code 0xc0000006, fault offset 0x000190cf, process id 0x104c, application start time 0x01cad870934b6597.
this is for
superfetch has stopped working
Now that i can see the error is about reading C:WindowsPrefetchAgAppLaunch.db, i try to open it with notepad, but strange noises come from the hard disk when i do, S.M.A.R.T. Data does not say anything about a faulty hard drive so i am assuming the hard drive is fine and that the problem is with the FileSystem
I opened the windows.old folder that a previous installation of windows left me with, and replaced the file with the file from that directory, and up to now, it looks like it is working
To be on the safe side, i am installing SP2 at the very minute, but i have no idea if SP2 resolves this issue anyway.
Stay tuned, and take care
Other things to note (For my own reference)
The crash screen displayed the following information
Problem Event Name: InPageError
Error Status Code: c000009c
Faulting Media Type: 00000003
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: fd00
Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
Additional Information 3: fd00
Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
And searching Microsoft’s KB results in No results were found for your query. Please see Search Help for suggestions.